|HOW TO MAKE THE ENROLLMENT PROCESS FAST & EASY|
Your time is important and we want to provide you with some tips to make your child’s enrollment in Columbus City Schools as fast and trouble-free as possible. Please consider the following:
- Print out and complete the Student and Household Enrollment forms in advance.
- Gather and organize all of the required documents (see check list, below) and bring them with you when you come to enroll your child.
- Parent Photo Identification
- It’s important that we can verify the identification of those requesting to enroll their child in Columbus City Schools. Please be prepared to show photo identification at the time of your visit.
If the child’s parent/guardian needs to obtain a birth certificate, they may call the Bureau of Vital Statistics at 645-7331. Please note that any student who may be interested in participating in interscholastic athletics must have proof of age certified via a birth certificate. No other proof of age is acceptable to the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
- Verification of Student Identification (must present any one of the following items)
- Student Birth Certificate (verification of birth issued by Ohio or a comparable certification issued by another state, territory, possession or nation);
- Passport or attested transcript of a passport filed with the registrar of passports showing the date and place of birth of the child;
- Attested/certified transcript of the certificate of birth; attested/certified transcript of the certificate of baptism or other religious record showing the date and place of birth of the child;
- An attested/certified transcript of a hospital record showing the date and place of birth of the child; or a birth affidavit.
- Proof of Custody/Guardianship (if other than biological/residential parent)
- Custody Document - Certified copy of a judge’s order or decree or modification of such order allocating parental rights and responsibilities and designating a residential parent and legal custodian of the child (if applicable).
- Address Verification (must present any one of the following items)
- A recent utility bill (gas, electric or water) in the parent/guardian's name. (Phone or cable bills are not acceptable).
- A current lease agreement with parent/guardian's name. Name and phone number of the landlord must be provided in order to verify the lease.
- Two most-recent employment checks with the parent/guardian's name and address.
- Most recent check stub, received from the Department of Human Services or Social Security, addressed to the parent.
- Statement from the Department of Human Services or Social Security, on letterhead, indicating the address used by the parent for receipt of checks.Even if the parent has checks delivered to a post office box, the caseworker may be able to provide verification of an address for the parent, on the agency’s letterhead.
- Statement from the Personnel Office of parent's employer, on letterhead, indicating the address used by parent for employment purposes and for submission of Internal Revenue Service (IRS) W-2 forms.
- Change of custody forms on Franklin County Children Services (FCCS) letterhead or court documents indicating a change of custodial parent (and address). These must be filed with Pupil Services prior to the child being enrolled in your school. If the child is already enrolled and will continue current assignment, the new custodial parent will need to go to the Pupil Services Office to file paperwork.
- Immunization Record (Shot Record)
- To assure that all schools provide safe and healthy learning environments, the Ohio Department of Health requires all students be immunized upon enrollment. Contact your child’s healthcare provider to make sure vaccinations are up-to date for school entry. If you need assistance with immunizations, please contact the school nurse or Columbus Public Health Immunization Clinic at 614-645-7945. Click Here for a printable school vaccination flyer.
- Withdrawal Papers or Last Grade Card or transcript from prior school (if applicable)
- Individualized Education Program (IEP), Evaluation Team Report (ETR) or 504 Plan (if applicable)
Schools on a traditional school year calendar start on Wednesday, August 21, but don’t wait until the last minute to enroll your child. In order to arrange for transportation, teacher assignments, and special education services, ESL or other services, it is essential that parents/guardians enroll their child(ren) as early as possible, preferably in July. Waiting until the last minute to enroll a child greatly impacts our ability to provide school bus service for eligible riders at the start of the school year. Ensure that your child has the best possible experience by completing the enrollment process well in advance.
Opening of Schools Flyer
Have questions about the 2013-2014 school-year? We have answers. The 2013-2014 Opening of Schools Flyer was mailed to all CCS student homes the last week of June. To get your own copy, click on the link below and download a printable version today.
2013-2014 Opening of Schools Flyer
Free or Reduced-price School Meals
Many CCS students qualify for free or reduced-price meals. It’s easy to complete the online application to determine whether your child would qualify.
Free or Reduced-price School Meal Application
CCS Student Enrollment Form (Updated July 2013)
Interdistrict Open Enrollment Application (for a full-time transfer to a Columbus City School)
CCS Latchkey Services (Grades K - 6)
CCS School Choice/Lottery
Dress Code/Uniform Requirements
Student Assignment Directory (by home address)
Suggested School Supply List
Vaccination Requirements (Printable flyer)
Vaccination Information (Web page)
2013-2014 Traditional School Year Calendar
2013-2014 Year-Round School Calendar
Fast Facts about Columbus City Schools
Click HERE to access one-page fact sheets about each Columbus City School
Have an additional question? Call the CCS Office of Customer Relations at 365-8888, or click HERE to send us an email.