More Than 1,500 District Students to Read Around the Planet in Global Video Conferencing Event
Read Around the Planet is a celebration of NEA's Read Across America and is timed in conjunction with the birthday of children's author Dr. Seuss - and World Book Day, March 3. The connections are happening between Feb. 23 and Mar. 10. Six Columbus City School classrooms will use interactive videoconferencing to connect with other students and celebrate reading. Students share readings, their writing, songs and skits - with kids just like them somewhere else on the planet! The six CCS classrooms have been matched with partners are:
Fifth Avenue Alternative International K-6
- Beth Taylor's kindergarteners will connect with a classroom in Florence Arizona
- Erica Cathey's 2nd graders will videoconference with a class in Huntington, WV
Duxberry Park Alternative Elementary
- Amy Crossin's kindergarteners were matched with a class in Houston TX.
- Librarian Jeri Smith and Nicole Goodson's 2nd graders are with a class in Houston TX.
Monroe Alternative MS
- Librarian Katie Bertner is participating with a group 3rd graders videoconferencing with a Spanish speaking class in El Paso, TX.
Olde Orchard Elementary
- Malissa Scherer's seventh-grade class at Monroe Alternative MS are matched with a class in Wichita KS.
For additional information, call the CCS Office of Communications.
- Katie Higby's 2nd graders will videoconference with students from Elbow Valley School in Calgary, Canada.