What's Going on at Northland High School?
Friday, May 17th
A reminder that VCAP is held on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday every week from 2:45-4:45 in the computer lab!
Click HERE to view a downloadable copy of Northland High School's 2012-2013 behavior plan
Letter from the Principal
Please click here to view an important letter from Mr. Martin, head administrator at Northland High School.
New CCS Superintendent Search
Columbus City Schools would like your input as we embark on our search for a new school superintendent! Please participate in the following survey by clicking the link below:
Please note that the superintendent search has been put on hold as CCS elicits more feedback from the Columbus community
Northland High School Newsletter
Important Changes to No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Supplemental Education Services
Please click here for important changes coming to Columbus City School's supplemental education service and school choice policies.
Northland Vikings Broadcast Media Blog
This blog is created by students for the students, parents and community of the Northland area. The blog will discuss topics, issues, and events concerning students at Northland High School. This blog is authored by students in the Broadcast Media Survey course.
Click here to view the blog!
Northland’s Try-Math-Alon Teams Prevail Once Again!
Click here for the entire article!
New Ohio CORE Graduation Requirements
- This is a very important announcement for students who are currently in the 9th and 10th grade or the classes of 2014 and 2015: Students in the class of 2014 and 2015 (freshmen and sophomores) are required by the new OHIO CORE to have a minimum of two successful years in the same foreign language year for graduation.
- This responsibility falls upon the student and parents to track classes required for graduation. The classes of 2014 and 2015 have been provided with graduation planners for the last two years which indicates the course needed for you to meet your graduation requirements.
- If you have any questions in this matter please see your counselor to help you plan accordingly. This means if you are failing your foreign language course at this time, with 3 failing grades, you need to consider summer school or V-CAP to recover this credit.
- Any student who is failing a CORE COURSE such as Math, English Science or History, with 3 failing grades at this time, needs to register for V-CAP immediately!
- These students also will need to register for summer school in order not to jeopardize your pending graduation from high school!
- V-CAP is offered Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays free of charge at Northland, with transportation provided home.
- If you need assistance please see your counselor during your lunch period for the appropriate information. A summer school fast fact sheet is on the main counter along with V-CAP applications. Please take care of these important matters in planning for your future! Summer school applications will not be available until early May, but you use the fact sheet to determine what course will be available and what sites
Northland High School Senior Section
Check back often for important Class of 2012-2013 information!
Applying for College - Class of 2013
Sample Resume/Letter of Introduction
Attention Seniors! There are scholarship applicatons on the bulletin board in Room 112. Please make sure that all completed applications are returned to Mrs. Thompson at least one week before the deadline!
"I Know I Can"
- "I Know I Can" is offering grants in the amount of $1,200 exclusively to Columbus City School students. Please see Mrs. Thompson, visit the "I Know I Can" website, or speak with an "I Know I Can" representative for an application.
Northland High School "Small Learning Communities"
Northland High School is a proud practitioner of "Small Learning Communities" (SLC). Our SLC's raise student achievement by emphasizing high academic rigor, high-level thinking skills, real-world relevance, and 21st-century technology in the classroom. Please click the link below to learn how Northland High School utilizes SLC's to support Columbus City School's goal of 100% student success and college/workforce readiness.
Northland Instrumental Music Parents Association (NIMPA)
Click the link above for the latest Northalnd High School Marching Band news!
Northland High School Touchdown Club
Check back here for the latest Northland football news, information, and upcoming events!
- The May 8th Touchdown Club Meeting has been cancelled, but will be rescheduled at a later date. Check back for more details.
- The Touchdown Club's annual mulch sale while continue through May 17th. Any money raised will be used to support our young men in the Northland football program! Please contact Coach Tooson with any questions.
- Check back soon for a downloadable summer schedule!
Columbus City School's Pledge of Allegiance Policy
The Columbus Board of Education has for many years had a policy of encouraging the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools. We want to inform you that this summer the Board of Education amended the policy to require that each school day begin with the Pledge of Allegiance. According to Board policy and state law, no student is required to participate in the recitation of the pledge.
Beginning this school year, the Pledge of Allegiance will be recited in our school at the beginning of each day school is in session. Please let us know if you do not wish your student to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Northland High School Profile
The Class of 2010 received over $6.5 million dollars in scholarships. We celebrate our student diversity and believe it is an integral component of our academic success. Northland alumni have earned National Merit Semifinalist and National Achievement Commended Scholar recognition, and have graduated from the most prestigious colleges and universities in our nation, including the military academies.
Northland High School has been honored as a recipient of the Harold A. Meyer Sportsmanship Award and offers students more sport-participation opportunities than any other high school in the Columbus City School District. Our high school scholar-athletes and coaches hold the All-Time City Championship record in the state of Ohio for 15 first-place finishes in sporting competitions. We are the Division I Boys 2011 Basketball State Runner-Ups.
During the 2010-2011 school year, several Northland students were honored for outstanding academic and athletic accomplishments. Sumeya Addullahi was awarded the prestigious Gates Millennium Scholarship by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for exceptional academic achievement. Daniel Smith was a Dispatch Scholar-Athlete scholarship Award winner. Nkafu Etchi received a Founder’s scholarship as well. Amjed Osman is a recipient of the 2011 Honda Math Medal Award. The 2010-2011 school year was very successful from an athletic perspective as well. Trey Burke received a Division 1 athletic scholarship to play basketball at the University of Michigan. Tatyana Chapple received a Division I athletic scholarship to play basketball at East Carolina University. Jarell Jones received a Division I athletic scholarship to play football at Miami (OH) University.
Our nationally acclaimed instrumental music program has established a tradition of consistent excellence. The Northland music program currently offers a marching band, concert band, symphonic band, and jazz band, as well as assorted soloist opportunities. We currently maintain the only full orchestra in the Columbus City School District. The marching band recently traveled to Disney World in 2008 to perform. The band received a “1,” the highest possible score, at the 2011 Class A State Contest. The Vocal Music Department prepares for a number of school and community performances each year. The Drama Department presents excellent theatrical productions each year with exceptional professionalism. In 2010-2011, the Northland Drama Department presented two separate exceptional two-night performances. In 2011, our S.T.E.M (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Club won District and Regional competitions. The Club’s Regional win in Detroit, Michigan earned the team a position in the National Try-Math-Alon USA Quiz Bowl. The S.T.E.M Club finished 2nd overall in the National Quiz Bowl competition in St. Louis, Missouri.
Most importantly, student academic achievement is recognized each grading period with certificates of Super Honor Roll and Honor Roll. During the 2011-2012 school year, a new Student Achievement award will recognize those who show outstanding quarterly improvement in academics, attendance, and/or interactions. A Student of the Month Award recognizes outstanding student achievement by grade level in academics, arts, and athletics. A biweekly Character Counts Award is bestowed upon students who demonstrate the 6 pillars of Character Counts through inspired actions. Award assemblies at the conclusion of each academic year recognize our scholars, student leaders, perfect attendance, and recipients of scholar-athletes scholarships.
Northland’s staff is a reflection of our ethnically and culturally diverse community. Members of the Northland High School faculty are highly-qualified, committed to student academic achievement, and promoters of life-long learning. Emphasis is placed on the delivery of a rigorous curriculum, relevance through the application of new knowledge to real-world situations, and relationships through a culture of mutual esteem, caring, and success. The faculty is an excellent mix of experience and truly talented new teachers.
Northland has received a bronze medal from U.S. News and World Report magazine as one of the nation's top high schools